The girl with her stethoscope Part 4

Fatigue began to settle on me .  I had been working for non stop 16 hours in the labour room and maternity ward . It was a tough day .

I have to stop and rest frequently . I felt so weak because I haven't eaten since yesterday . Then , I took a mouthful of biscuits that I kept in my white coat's pocket . That was my only food for the past 16 hours . Sudddenly , my phone received a notification of incoming Whatsapp message . It was from Gale . I consulted my watch and it showed 2 a.m. in the morning ." It's already late," I murmured myself . 

Without any doubts , I took my phone , entered my password and unlocked them , and it read 

" Hey Prim ,  still not asleep yet ?"  He texted

" Hi Gale ! I am on call tonight , still at the ward . How about you  ?" I replied

" Oh I see , it must have been tough for you . Stay strong Prim . I know you are . I'm at home . Got no on calls this week . I'm not feeling sleepy yet . umm .. I got something to tell you ," he told

" Thanks Gale , sure will do . What is it ?" I asked

" I will be flying to somewhere else next week ," he said 

" Huh ? What do you mean by 'somewhere else' ? Where are you going ?" I insisted 

" I will join a humanitarian mission at few countries ," he told me 

" Wow , that's great . That's a noble job Gale . You volunteer yourself ?" I asked 

" Yup , I did . But Prim , hmm ... " he didn't finish his word  

" But what ? It's alright .  Just tell me . I think I'll be okay " I said . But in fact I'm not . I know Gale will tell me something that was hard for me to accept . 

" I'm not sure when I'll be back home ," he replied 

***

Gale will leave me here . Alone . He will join the third mision team to serve medical aids and relief for earthquake and war victims in few countries . I know I can't stop him from leaving . It was his desire to join them . Not everyone will volunteer into this team . But Gale did , and I respected him so much for his willingness to help the victims . I wished to join him but I am still doing my postgraduate study . Again , both of us will seperate . Just like our old school days , he left me . Now , it happened again . 

This time , surely I will not cry . Everyone will make note of my tears . A weakling . I'm just too old to wept like a baby in the labour room . I will send him at the airport to bid my last goodbye . Only God knew when we will meet again ; or maybe not . This was the last time I can see him . I admired his generousity , his patience and his kindness . He had a sense of fun , strength of will and a willingness to try new things . " Good luck Gale . I wish you would be safe there ," I whispered to myself .

***
Home sweet home . 

I'm in my room . Oh , It's been a long day since the last time I indulged myself on this tender bed . I laid on them happily after took my remote control to switch on the TV . My mind seemed foggy to select the channels available because I'm too sleepy at that time . As I went through all the channels , I stopped on a channel that was broadcasting new bulletins . The reporter was reporting a chaos of a country that involved in a civil war . I was listening to the reporter as he was describing the current situation of that place . There was a humanitarian mission sent to that country too . I guessed Gale was there . 

Ya . Gale was there , because ... 


He reported that ....... that ... that few parts of the field hospital were bombed ... and it killed few victims ...... and ..... voluntary doctors ...and .... one of them were ... were .... Gale !


No !! It can't be !!!!


I'm dreaming . Wake up Prim !! I pinched my cheek few times but it seemed  didn't work .


I'm not dreaming . And the news was real .

Gale died in the civil war .

Unkowingly , I watched helplessly my own tears dripping onto my bed sheet . My throat was tight with tears . I cried emotionally . I can't believe that he was 'dead' . The word 'dead' to describe Gale was never exist on my mind

I wept like a baby , even worse than any baby could weep . I wanted to shout out his name , hoping that his ghost would come - so that I can tell him how much I cared for him , how much I loved him , how thankfully I am to have him by my side ; but I know , it was far beyond impossible for him to hear me , because he was already dead . Gale was dead . He was . It grieved me ; he left me like this

Why did you left so soon ? Why? Can't you wait for me ? I have so much things to tell you . To share with you . To let you know . How happy I am , when I know that you are going to propose me , once you come  home . I knew Gale , I did . Your friend told me ; that you asked his opinion about a ring that you bought for me ; before you joined that humanitarian team .

I stared blankly at space . My mind was going somewhere else ; somewhere that I could reach out for Gale . But it's hopeless . Gale was dead . There's no way I can talk to him anymore . I plodded back and forth in my room , then I walked to the balcony . My head hurts . Tears blurred my vision . I can't see clearly what in front of me . My world veered around , and suddenly I turned black out .

***
TO BE CONTINUED








Comments

Popular Posts